Thursday, October 21, 2010

The East Coast!

Finally! One year and 6 months after I attempted to leave home the first time, and 8 months after I left the south-west last time, I have arrived on the East Coast! I have driven over 25,000 km during the 8 months in trusty old Sarah. My destination is not one of the usual ones - Bondi Beach, Bells Beach, Cape Byron, or Cairns, but Archer Point. Archer point is home to a small modern lighthouse and a half washed away dock used to supply the old lighthouse - that’s it. Though there are a few resident cattle, and the locals obviously camp here, although I am the only one here now.
Sarah made it to the east with no flat tyres and only 2 services
Archer Point. The small groyne has a rusty wharf that supplied the old lighthouse and an outpost in WW2

My camp fire is fuelled by driftwood and coconuts, and I have eaten the meat of some old ones, and tried a bit roasted, though I prefer uncooked. My swag is at the top of the beach, so hopefully I don't get munched by a croc, and the rain seems to be holding off - I only get a spot or two which is probably the result of the mountains a few k's down the coast. Despite countless nights camping and having fires this is a very new, and pretty exciting experience for this trip. Tomorrow I roll into that famous little dot put on the map hundreds of years ago by a floundering ship - Cooktown!

The view from my tent

Trying the local produce - not bad actually. I thought roasting it might be a novel idea but it was not as good. The coconuts make for reasonable fire wood once you get the fire hot enough

No comments:

Post a Comment